Italian designer and architect
Vittoriano Viganò (born December 19, 1919, Milan, Italy–died January 5, 1996, Milan, Italy) was an Italian designer and architect. He was born into a culturally-rich environment, and developed a strong interest in design from a young age. This early interest led him to enroll at the school of architecture at the Politecnico di Milano, graduating in 1944. After World War II, he had a brief apprenticeship at Studio BBPR, obtained a master’s degree in construction with famed engineer Arturo Danusso in 1947, and served as an assistant to Gio Ponti in the department of interior architecture.
In 1947, Viganò opened his own studio, started a long-term cooperation with Arteluce, and began a 16-year editorial contribution with the French magazine L’architecture d’aujourd’hui directed by his friend French sculptor André Bloc. Through his studio, Viganò developed a wide professional practice that included industrial design, interior design, architecture and urban planning projects. It is at this time that he started to articulate the similarities shared among all design practices, and to discount the notion of interior architecture and design as banal decorative practices. For him, these intimate disciplines shared the approach and aims of architecture and urban planning. With Arteluce, Vittoriano Viganò first worked as an artistic and technical advisor, but in 1950, while Gino Sarfatti went on a long research trip to the United States, he became the artistic director of Arteluce and contributed his own design imprint by using metal cones and shapes to shed and project light along large arms. Upon Sarfatti’s return, Viganò continued coproducing light designs for Arteluce until 1960.
Important lamp designs
Important architectural projects
Among Vittoriano Viganò’s most prominent architectural projects are the cinema theaters Dal Verme and Cavour (Milan 1947 and 1963), the QT8 town houses (Milan 1948), the sports centre in Salsomaggiore (1948-49), the Del Fiore Gallery (Milan 1953) and Apollinare gallery (Milan 1955), the Instituto Marchiondi Spagliardi in collaboration with architect Reyner Banham (Milan 1955-57), the Cartiera Sterzi paper mill (Varese 1958), the XIV Triennale di Milano staircase (1968), and the nature-sea environment complex in Rimini Bellaria (1978-86), .
Last updated: May 22, 2019
Let us know if you have suggestions to improve this article by correcting errors, adding updates, or filling important omissions here