Italian designer and architect
Angelo Mangiarotti (born February 26, 1921, Milan, Italy–died July 2, 2012, Milan, Italy) was an Italian designer and architect. Mangiarotti began his architectural training at Politecnico di Milano, earning a degree in architecture in 1948, in the context of a growing criticism towards Rationalism in favor of a greater freedom of expression and simplicity. In 1953, Mangiarotti served as a visiting lecturer at the Illinois Institute of Technology. While in the United States, he worked with Frank Lloyd Wright, Walter Gropius, and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. After his return to Italy in 1955, he opened a studio of architecture with Bruno Morassutti and designed large projects, such as the Via Cantore Skyscraper (1955) in Genova and the Mater Misericordiae Church (1957) in Milan, but the duo ended their partnership in 1960. In the same year, Mangiarotti opened a solo studio. read more
Some of Mangiarotti’s most notable designs were created following the establishment of his studio, where he masterfully designed sculptural and functional stone, stone-bronze and wood-bronze combination tables, consoles, and bookcases. For some of these designs, he partnered with the Skipper company and produced the Incas console table (1978), Estral shelving system (1981), Marble dining tables, Central table (1985), and the Clizia bench (1990), among others.
Mangiarotti also collaborated with other important design manufacturers of the time, among the products that resulted from these collaborations are the Maritime ceramic clock for Klein and More (1956), the iconic Secticon Model T1 table clocks (1960), the Model 1110 lounge chair for Cassina (1964), the Lesbo and Saffo lamps for Artemide (1966/1967), the Giogali modular lighting system for Vistosi (1967), the Fratelli Brambilla ceramic ashtrays (1968), the Aida table lamp for VeArt (1969), a series of office furniture sets for Molteni, and several glass sculptural vases for Vistosi.
In addition to his prolific design portfolio, Angelo Mangiarotti maintained intense academic activity inside and outside of Italy. In 1953 and 1954, he served as visiting professor at the Institute of Design of the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago, and in 1963 and 1964, he taught a course at the Istituto Superiore di Disegno Industriale in Venice. He also served as visiting professor at the University of Hawaii in 1970, at the École Politecnique Fédérale de Lausanne in 1974, and at the University of Adelaide and the South Australian Institute of Technology in Adelaide in 1976.
In 1982, he held the role of adjunct professor at the Faculty of Architecture in Palermo, and in 1983, he served as a professor at the Department of Composition at the Faculty of Architecture in Florence. In 1989 and 1990, he served as a lecturer at the Faculty of Architecture in Milan, and in 1997, he worked as an adjunct professor teaching a course in industrial design at the Faculty of Architecture of the Politecnico di Milano.
Last updated: July 8, 2019
Photo courtesy of the Angelo Mangiarotti Foundation
For more information on Angelo Mangiarotti please visit Studio Magiarotti
Let us know if you have suggestions to improve this article by correcting errors, adding updates, or filling important omissions here