Antonia Campi – born in Sondrio in 1921, she studied sculpture under Francesco Messina at the Brera Academy of fine Arts inMilan.
In 1947 she decided to use and work with pottery fired at high temperature as a means of her expression. In the same year some of her drawings were selected for the Diomira prize at the “Galleria Del Milione” in Milan.
In 1948 she joined the “Societa’ Ceramica Italiana” based in Laveno.
In 1951 she created a monumental ceramic Panel for themain entrance of the IX Triennale in Milan where it was displayed,with an exceptional light sculpture, “Concetto spaziale” design by Lucio Fontana. read more
In 1956 Antonia Campi left the “Societa’ Ceramica Italiana” of Laveno and concentrated in design. In the same year shereceived a nomination for the “Compassod’Oro”forvarioustypesofmetallic utensils such as scissorsthatarepartofthepermanentexhibition of the MoMA of New York.
Antonio Campi became the Director of the CentroArtistico SCI Richard-Ginori in 1971 after the death of Giovanni Gariboldi.
In 1980 she resumed her experiments with a high temperature techniqueto create a new series ofminiatureporcelainpieces.
In 1998 the “Museo lnternozionale del Design Ceramico” from CerroLavenonear Como dedicatearetrospectiveonAntoniaCampi; catalogue Electa by Enzo Biffi Gentili.
Her ceramic, porcelain and metal work can be seen in the collections of the “MuseolnternazionaledellaCeramica”inFaenza, the “Civica Galleria d’Arte Moderno in Gallarate, the Victoria andAlbert MuseuminLondon,the MontrealMuseum ofDecorative Art, theMoMAinNew York,the Staatliches MuseuminMunichandthe Museum of Modern Art in Philadelphia.
Antonia Campi lives and works in Milan.